Monday 25 October 2010

The Terrible Maintenance Of This Apartment

I have bedbugs. Well, not just bedbugs, but cockroaches, poisonous spiders, and ants too. My landlord has not called the exterminator and hasn't paid said exterminator in about almost half a year now.

I'm not planning on moving just because of this, since I can put up with these pest problems on my own, though my roommate can't.

Basically, I've had bedbugs for about seven months now, ever since my former neighbor died of a heart attack, and his bedbugs came through the wall and over to my apartment. Lemme tell you, these suckers are bigger than you'd expect. Most of the ones I find are about the size of a large tick. I've had to spend extra money on extra detergent just so I can wash my clothes, sheets, and blankets on a much more frequent basis, and some more money on rubbing alcohol, since that stuff will slow their progress if not kill them.

Well, guess what happened at 2 AM Saturday Morning? My roommate found bedbugs in his bed, and he's pissed. Not at me fortunately, why would he be?

Bit of background on my roommate: he's 56, works for my landlord on a volunteer basis as a handyman, and he currently pays for my 54 Mbps broadband connection. Oh, and he's the only friend I have offline, other than his girlfriend.

Bit of background on my landlord: he runs clean and sober houses, all of which are in poor maintenance, and he's cheap, forgetful, and is currently dealing with a lawsuit in regards to the former maintenance guy that he was paying not being paid and then wrongfully fired. The only place he runs that's not in poor condition is a mental health resource center, and that's only because that's his main project.

Anyhow, my roommate said he was going to have a very long talk with my landlord on Monday, and that "he was not going to like a lot of the things he had to say". And I have this terrible feeling due to some sort of understanding about what happened to the previous person who argued with my landlord that was working for him, that my roommate is going to get kicked out.

And if he does get kicked out, my landlord is going to put someone else into the apartment for me to have as a roommate, since technically, I have no say in who becomes my roommate at all since I'm just renting one room. And there's going to be problems if it's someone like my first roommate.

Bit of background on my first roommate: he was a mentally ill, semi-illiterate drug addict who was smoking crack while in this apartment and luckily got arrested sometime last year.

I don't know, maybe I' being overly paranoid, but my landlord happens to be a dick, and a slumlord. Moving is not an option for me, but I hope that I'm wrong and that my roommate doesn't get kicked out tomorrow after getting on my landlord's ass about the bug problems.

By the way, I can't call the Health Department, because I'll get kicked out of my apartment by my landlord if I do that. And I can't hire my own exterminator because the lease says that my landlord has to hire all the maintenance people, including exterminators.

No comments:

Post a Comment